Photoluminescent Exit Signs & Markings
7th October 2017 General Division
THINK OF E.B. HORSMAN & SON FOR
All Your Emergency System Needs
What is Photoluminescent (PL)?
Photoluminescent is the light emitted from a matter that absorbs photons from surrounding electromagnetic radiation (nearby light sources).
Strontium Aluminate is a solid, odorless, non-flammable, pale yellow mineral that is used by PL Solutions to create the photoluminescence material (PLM) in their products. There are many chemicals used to create PLM, but why Strontium Aluminate? It is chemically and biologically inert. PL Solutions produces it in a proprietary laboratory process, which is 100% non-toxic using catalysts that are environmentally friendly. The PL absorbs any ambient area lighting and then emits that light once power is lost or an emergency condition occurs.
Codes and Standards Overview:
- Fully acceptable technology as indicated in Section 3.4.5 of the National Building Code
- Use of Photoluminescent (PL) signs have been adopted Provincially in Canada
- All Externally Illuminated signs must conform to – CAN/ULC-S572 Standard
- Recognized Internationally for both egress and safety signage
- Signs must consist of the ISO Pictogram sign
- Minimum required light levels on all signs at “all times during building occupancy”
- Signs must be marked accordingly to showcase maximum operating times
- PL signs are considered their own emergency power supply (like a battery)
- PLS Pictogram signs can be mixed in with traditional EXIT / SORTIE signs
For more detailed information on provincial building codes, see attachments at the end of this post.
Features & Benefits
- All PL Solutions PL signs are UL/ULC approved for 2 foot candle/120 minutes
- 25 years product guarantee
- Easy to install -- no wiring or battery installation is required!
- Minimal maintenance required -- Maintenance costs for an LED or incandescent signs can be thousands of dollars a year
- No electricity required!
- Testing is not mandatory
- No toxic / GHG emissions
- Always works!
- PL products from PL Solutions qualify to contribute towards LEED Points in the following categories
- EA Credit #1: Energy and Atmosphere - Energy Performance
- MR Credit #4: Material and Resources - Recycled Content
- ID Credit #1.1: Innovation in Design - Exceptional Performance
Photoluminescent Exit Signs & Markings:
The reliable PL Solutions Safety Guidance System is a complete suite of photoluminescent safety components essential for comprehensive low-level emergency evacuation routes. By installing a photoluminescent directional system for evacuation during sudden blackout or smoke-laden conditions, you greatly reduce your potential liability, but more importantly you can save lives!
Where to use PL Solutions Inc. Technology in your Facility?
Emergency exit path and doors:
In blackout situations, having exits clearly marked with signage, handrail tape, floor directions, wall mounts, and non-slip stair treads will ensure your staff leave the building safely.
Dangerous equipment or obstacles in path:
Marked racks, heavy equipment and their storage position, plus pallets and other obstacles help your employees avoid bumps, bruises, or worse in emergency situations.
Access to Important Equipment:
Mark your breaker panel, important valves & switches, your first aid, fire extinguisher and other safety equipment for quicker access.
Applications & Product Details
|Part Number||Product Details|
|HR TAPE||PL HANDRAIL TAPE, 1" X 10FT|
|RM-DBL||PL 10X17 RUNNING MAN - DOUBLE SIDED|
|RM-LA||PL 10X17 RUNNING MAN - LEFT ARROW|
|RM-NA||PL 10X10 RUNNING MAN - NO ARROW|
|RM-RA||PL 10X17 RUNNING MAN - RIGHT ARROW|
|ST-4||PL STAIR TREAD, C/W VINYL PL INSERT, 4'|
|WM-8 PL||PL WALL MOUNT, C/W VINYL PL INSERT|
Keep your staff safe with PL Solutions Photoluminescent Signs & Markings
You might also like:
Buying Guide: Siemens Variable Frequency Drives
How much do you know about Variable Frequency Drives (VFD)? Are you finding buying or choosing a VFD a little too complicated? We developed a buying guide for you that outlines the basics, advantages and the different modules of VFDs.Read More
Manufacturer Spotlight: Siemens
Siemens, the largest manufacturing company in Europe, has been a leader in innovative technologies for over 150 years. E.B. Horsman & Son is proud to shine the spotlight on Siemens, a company with truly cutting-edge products and services. Here’s what you need to know.Read More