YOUR ULTIMATE GUIDE TO LED LIGHTING
1. Energy Savings
- There is a lot of talk about the efficiency of LED lighting. Here is an example of the efficiency and savings you can expect by switching to LED if you have 10 fixtures that are on 4380 hours per year:
2. Incentive Programs
- When you choose energy efficient LED products, both BC Hydro and Energy Efficiency Alberta have incentive programs to help lower customer costs. E.B. Horsman & Son's staff can help you to apply for those inventives.
- Anything that uses traditional energy (electricity) automatically produces greenhouse gases which contribute to global warming. Energy-saving LED lights use less energy to produce the same light output, which means you not only save money on your Hydro bill, but also do your part for the environment.
- LED lights have a lifetime that is up to 10 times longer than traditional lights. This allows you to replace LEDs less frequently than traditional lights, meaning you save money and reduce your light disposal and waste.
4. Total Cost of Ownership
- Understanding total cost of ownership is key when considering LED products. Initially LEDs are more expensive but beacuse of their efficiency, they are less expensive to run overtime. Furthermore, the life of LED products is up to 10x longer compared to traditional products.
5. CRI Accuracy and Coloour Temperature
- Colour Rendering Index (CRI) is the quantitative measure of how accurately a light is rendering colour when compared to a perfect reference light. It is measured in percent, the higher the percentage the more accurate the colour rendering.
Still Not Convinced That an LED Solution is Right For You? Here are our Solutions!
CONCERN 1: Understanding Lighting Levels for LED
Are you not sure what LED products replace traditional lighting products?
SOLUTION: E.B. Horsman & Son has trained staff in LED products.Our staff will guide you through replacing traditional lighting products with LED products to ensure existing lighting levels are comparable or exceeded.
CONCERN 3: Cost
Are you wondering if the total cost of ownership worth it for your application?
SOLUTION:Higher cost LED products are actually less expensive over time versus traditional products. Ask our technical experts for a quote and your expected cost savings today!
CONCERN 2: Control
Wondering if standard lighting dimming controls work with LED lighting?
SOLUTION: Small amount of LED sources can be controlled with existing triac dimmers, but most integrated LED products require different forms of dimming to be able to control. Talk to your EBH representative about what products are required to dim your LED.
CONCERN 2: Aesthetics
The switch from traditional to modern LED fixture-design
SOLUTION:The design of LED-fixtures is key to how LED technology is applied to illuminate specific areas because of LEDs directionality and high intensity. LED products are specially designed with the intent to produce similar lighting levels if done right. Our trained staff can help you with these aesthetics so you will not notice a change in the switch.
Lighting Terminology 101
LM70 and LM80 Quality Assessment
LM79 and LM80 are testing methods by the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA) that provide electrical and photometric measurements of LED products to assess LED chip quality and the LED luminaire as a whole system.
Without LM79 or LM80, you cannot get a true LED Hour Life of your fixture.
Colour Rendering Index (CRI) is a quantitative measure of how accurately a light is rendering colour when compared to a perfect reference light. It is measured in percent, the higher the percentage the more accurate the colour rendering is.
LED Hour Life
The life of an LED is measured statistically via the LM79 and LM80 testing methods. It is measured as the percentage of light output over time and represented by LP. For example, an LED light with L70 > 100,000 hour life implies that the LED light will have 70% of its original light output at the 100,000 hour. Although, one should keep in mind that the limiting life factor in an LED fixture is the driver, which is traditionally rated up to 100,000 hours.
Ingress or International Protection (IP) rating classifies the degrees of protection provided against solid objects and water in electrical enclosures. First digit indicates the protection against solids and second digit for protection against water. Click here for full IP Chart.